South East Freeway Cycleway - Veloway V1 Stage E - Fabrication of all Steelwork for Project
Overview of Project
The Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) has been constructing cycleway infrastructure to connect the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) and Eight Mile Plains since 1993. The Veloway 1 will link the Brisbane City to the Gateway Motorway off-ramp at Eight Mile Plains once complete. Totalling 17km in length, the connection will successfully provide the missing links within the existing cycleway network, ensuring a safe and dedicated commute for cyclists. Stage E is a 4m wide dedicated bike path stretching from Birdwood Road to Gaza Road and comprises two elevated concrete bridge structures along approximately 2km. The project runs parallel to the existing Pacific Motorway (M3).
Scope of Works
- Neumann Fabrication was awarded the anti-throw screen and balustrade steelwork fabrication, including bike railing and bridge, mounted light brackets.
- Overall, the project consisted of 188T of galvanised and powder coated steelwork representing 8,264 individual pieces.
- Considering the significant volume of steelwork and logistics of tracking over 8,000 fabricated steel assemblies, the fabrication team utilised Neumann Contractors proven quality assured fabrication management process to ensure all materials and activities were fully traceable to TMR standards and specifications.
- The project presented various scope changes and schedule re-adjustments to suit on-site bridge construction. The fabrication workshop responded to the requirements of the overall project objectives and requirements.
- The installed steelwork’s quality and presentation indicate what the Neumann Fabrication team strives to achieve.